Off and Running by Gary Soto
Cast your vote! If you attended their school, who would you elect? How important is determination?
Comprehension Skill and
+compare and contrast
+formal and informal language
Why is determination a good quality for a politician to have?
Analyze the Text:
1. What details does the author provide to show that Miata is nervous?
2. What can you tell about Rudy based on the way that he speaks to Carlos and Jaime?
3. List 3 of the 5 similes that the author uses on these pages.
4. Miata uses formal language when she speaks to the students. What do we mean by formal language?
Quote two examples from her speech that are examples of formal speech.
5. Summarize the differences between Miata's speech and Rudy's speech.
6. The author wrote that Miata "put on a good face" after her speech. What does that idiom mean?
7. When are some times that you would want to use formal language? When would you want to use informal language?
8. List details from the story that help you infer what kind of relationship Miata has with her father.
9. After reading the story, think about the author's message. Did he feel that it was better to popular or to help people?
10. What lesson does Miata learn from her run for office?