Comprehension Skill and
+cause and effect
+quotes and description
Why is it important to research and protect endangered animals?
Analyze the Text:
1. What is a tree 'roo? Why do you think that the author uses this term?
2. Summarize the purpose of the expedition. (3-4 sentences)
3. On the bottom of page 177, there are footnotes that reference certain key words in the text. How can this information help improve your understanding?
4. What does biologist Lisa Dabek mean when she talks about the "miracle" of working in Papau New Guinea? Use quotes from the text to explain.
5. Cause and Effect---What actions do the trackers take to locate the tree kangaroos?
6. What evidence does the author use to show that the tree kangaroo can move "like an acrobat"?
7. Using text evidence. List the details that the author uses to support the idea that the tree kangaroos are mates?
8. How does the author support the idea that this is a scientific expedition and that it has the goal of collecting precise data?
9. What is the importance of the radio collar's weight?
10. In paragraph 4, the author says that "everyone will help" with the procedure. Why is it necessary for everyone to be involved?
11. What are some of the scientific terms used in the first section of page 183? This is domain-specific vocabulary. Why did the author use this language?
12. How can we determine the meaning of unfamiliar domain-specific vocabulary?
13. What context clues can you use to determine the meaning of respiration?
14. What main idea does the author convey on page 185?
15. What is the author's purpose for marking the exact time?
16. What evidence does the author offer to support the point that the scientists' work is accurate and valid?
17. Why do you think Holly does a "pouch check"?