When you read a story, it is important to pay attention to character traits. Use this map to describe Lupe's important character traits. Revisit the text and complete the map.
1. What evidence can you find in the text that supports the idea that Lupe "was no good at sports"?
2. What steps does Lupe take to improve the skills necessary to play marbles?
3. How does Lupe plan for the marble championship?
4. List the 5 steps needed to shoot a marble.
5. If you were Lupe's mother, how would you feel about her participating in the marble tournament?
6. How do we know that Lupe's father wants her to do well?
7. Why do people stare at Lupe's thumb?
8. What did Lupe prove to herself in this story?
9. What did she learn about herself?
10. What is the theme of this story?
The Marble Champ
by Gary Soto
Key Question: How does practicing a skill help you gain confidence?